Table of Contents
Week 1 | English Grammar
Week 2 | English Grammar
Week 3 | English Grammar
Week 4| English Grammar
Week 5| English Grammar
Week 6| English Grammar
Week 7| English Grammar
Week 8| English Grammar
Week 9| English Grammar
Week 10| English Grammar
Week 11| English Grammar
Week 12| English Grammar
Week 13| English Grammar
When we say we have done an action with a finished time we use the past tense.
Past tense + finished time.
Example: I ate dinner at 3 o’ clock. (past tense = ate, finished time = 3 o’ clock)
We never use the present perfect + finished time.
- I ate fish and chips for lunch yesterday.
- The last time I saw my best friend Katie was 3 days ago.
- The last time I went swimming was 2 months ago.
- I slept at my sister’s house last weekend.
- We went to Italy in 2001.
- My grandparents arrived at the airport at 2 o’ clock.
- Where were you last Saturday?
- What did you do yesterday evening.
- When did you come to my house?
- What time did you come to my house?
Using the present perfect shows that the action has taken place in the past until now.
Using the past shows that the action has already taken place and it has finished
|I have eaten breakfast.||I ate breakfast at 7am.|
|I have had a shower.||I showered last night.|
|He has lost his car keys.||He lost his car keys yesterday.|
|Katie has gone to Rosie’s house.||Katie went to Rosie’s house two hours ago.|
|Have you seen Bethany?||Did you see Bethany on Friday?|
|Have you ever been on holiday?||Did you go on holiday last year?|
|Amy has writtena poem.||Amy wrote a poem last Sunday|
Share the Love: www.improvetuition.org
|I have lost my shoes|
|Susan has gone to her grandma’s house|
|Have you seen my car keys?|
|Have you seen Louisa’s new handbag?|
|Have you ever been to New York?|
|Have you ever been on the London eye?|
|She has done her homework.|
|He has written his homework in his planner.|
|I haven’t received any post.|
|They have been to Australia.|
4. Challenge: Create 10 sentences using past tense + finished time. Use the verbs given
ate, lost, see, wrote, fell, drank, forgot, paid, sold, made